Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Dec Prayer Letter - Riots

Just as I was beginning to feel settled and life was developing a good routine, the world decided I needed shaking up.  You may have seen my posts on Facebook as the situation developed, but if you did not, and would like up to the minute updates on all my adventures in the future, please like my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GoSpeakLiveBoldly) and click on “Notifications.” 
 
One Wed morning late in October I got up, got ready as usual, and walked over to the small animal clinic.  Imagine my surprise to find it locked up tight.  While talking with someone else trying to get in I learned that the university had been locked down due to student protests at the front gate.  Security personnel had been told to lock everything and bring all keys to the control station.  Although this seems logical on one hand, on the other it only caused more problems.  Critically ill pets were now locked in the hospital, I was now locked in the campus, and so were many others who drove to the back gate looking for a way out.  I wasn’t really concerned until I talked with one gentleman trying to get out the locked back gate.  He said the students had threatened to burn his car if he didn’t leave campus immediately!  Now I was concerned!  All I wanted was to get to my sick patients to safety and then leave campus. 
 
With several other trapped staff members we finally broke into the small animal hospital to get out my patients and cut the padlock off the back gate so everyone could get out (we used another padlock to relock it after we left).  I rapidly threw together some clothes and necessities, left large bowls of food and water for my cat, and drove out as quickly as I could.
 
For the next ten days I stayed with friends as a refugee.  Thankfully, the back gate of the campus remained relatively quiet and was not involved in the continued rioting that occurred elsewhere on campus. So on quiet days I was able to sneak back into my house to pack a few more things, check on my cat, and water my plants. 
 
Around the front gate and student center, things deteriorated over the next few days with looting of both cafeterias, the shops, and the bookstores.  Tires were burnt, rocks were thrown, students who wanted to leave were threatened and even beaten, and police got involved on several occasions.  Over 40 students were arrested at one point, although most were later released.  Several students were injured by rubber bullets as police and students clashed. 
 


 
Students at many other universities were also protesting, but most of the protests around the nation remained peaceful.  Throughout South Africa, the students were united in protest against proposed tuition fee increases of 6-10% for the next year.  Eventually the universities agreed to 0% fee increases for next year, which stopped the protests, but I can only wonder what will happen in the future. 
 
The campus was eventually reopened after 11 days of protesting and riots.  Final exams, set to start the week after protests begin, were generously moved back 3 weeks to allow the students time to study.  So far, all has been quiet again.  Once exams are finished, the students will be gone on summer holiday through the end of January. 
 
Thank you for your prayer for my safety and for an end to the riots. Please pray that all will remain peaceful through the next year and that there will be no lingering resentment between staff, students, and the community.
 
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  May the Lord bless you greatly with peace and joy throughout this holiday season.

PS: Christian Veterinary Mission works in communities around the world where animals are much more than a companion, they are depended upon for survival. This Christmas season, we invite you to partner with us and give a gift that truly matters-the kind that can transform lives and communities from CVM’s Animal Impact Gift Guide atgifts.cvmusa.org

No comments:

Post a Comment