Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Aug 2023 - Merlicia's Story

This month, I would like to share with you Merlicia’s story.  Merlicia joined our Bible study and home church last year and then, after accepting Christ, she joined the Acts 29 witnessing team.  It has been a joy to disciple her and see her grow in the knowledge of and love for God.

“My name is Merlicia, I’m from Limpopo [the northernmost province in South Africa].  I am doing my second year in BSC in computer science and mathematics.


“Being born in a broken family that is not in Christ with a lot of fights and hatred for one another, I grew up lacking love and facing discrimination in my family and at school because of my dark skin.

“I had no peace because of the pain. I struggled a lot with accepting how I look and where I belong.  At home, we believed in the Ancestors.  I engaged in these activities as part of the family.

“In 2022, when I came to university, I participated in netball.  I was playing for the residence I stayed in.  One day, in March, at the netball courts after playing, I saw a group of students holding hands in a circle praying and playing gospel music.  I knew I wanted to join them.  I stared at them to the point where my sports officer took me over to them and I joined hands with them.  I felt welcomed.  One of the students later introduced me to a house church and Bible study [part of our Acts 29 ministries].  I started going there mainly on Wednesday nights.  In June a lady from the Bible study [Beth Gestring] paid me a visit in my room where she shared the word of God with me.  She then asked if I wanted to receive Christ.  I knew I wanted to and I wasted no time.  She helped me receive Christ by praying to admit that I am a sinner, that I believe God died for those sins, and to confess Jesus as my Lord and savior.

“After receiving Christ, God filled me with love and I then learnt to love.  He delivered me from all the pain and in Him I found peace and acceptance.  Today, I love how I look because I know that I am wonderfully and fearfully made and everything that God created is beautiful.  Most importantly, I now believe in Christ and I have removed all the ropes [from the witch doctor/samgoma] of ancestor worship.  I believe in God for my protection. I am free.”

Please keep Merlicia and the other Acts 29 students in your prayer as we start the second term and once again share the gospel with students on campus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment