Monday, September 26, 2016

June Prayer Letter - Winter

What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.
― John Steinbeck

Ah, the mugs of hot chai tea latte, warm sweaters, cozy blankets, and nights spent cuddled next to an electric heater.  Winter is gradually finding its way down from the north and the nights are definitely getting colder here in Mafikeng.  Thankfully, fall stayed quite warm during the days so my garden is still growing and I’ve only now started to need my comforter to stay warm at night.

Even with the cooler weather, all is still peaceful on campus and the students are beginning their exam this month. They finish the term on the 22nd and will then have 3 weeks holiday.  Because they started exams on the 31st, there are no students at the clinic on rotation until mid-July and it feels very empty.  We still consult and see patients as usual, but there are no students to teach.   I also have a break from leading the student Bible study and witnessing group as they are too busy studying for exams to attend.

As much as I enjoy working with the students, I relish the breaks as a time to catch my breath and refocus my own spiritual walk.  It is easy to focus so much on training and working with others that I forget to rest in God.  Please pray that during the month of June my relationship with the Lord will be refreshed and renewed. 

On the veterinary side of things, I had some visitors from the US last month and organized a rabies vaccine outreach in a village south of Mafikeng. We vaccinated 23 dogs in the village and one cat!  The outreach was organized in conjunction with the local SPCA and they provided dipping for the dogs to kill ticks and reduce the risk of tick borne diseases. It always amazes me how well the village dogs tend to behave.  The owners generally bring them without leashes or collars, but there is little fighting or running off.


Next month I have an American veterinary student visiting for 2 weeks and then in August there will be a small CVM short-term mission team visiting for 2 weeks.  During those times I hope to do several more rabies vaccine outreaches and possibly a spay/neuter day.

Please be praying for these visits, that the Lord will provide opportunities to develop and deepen relationships and to share the gospel here on campus.  Pray that hearts would be prepared to hear and accept the good news of Christ’s free gift of salvation.


Please also be praying over the next month that the return of students for the 2nd term will be peaceful with no renewal of protests or violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment