Monday, September 26, 2016

May Prayer Letter - Peace

Thank you so much for your prayers!  I am very pleased to report that there has been no further violence or student action on campus.  We have had three weeks of peace, so far, and there is no indication that we should expect any differently for the future. 

It has been wonderful having the students back in the clinic again.  I truly enjoy teaching them the practical aspects of small animal medicine, even if the students occasionally push me to pulling my hair out.  The last group of eight was the most frustrating so far, but they finished up well on their rotation quiz. 

At the end of each two week rotation I write a one page quiz based on what we covered and what I taught.  For example, they are expected to recognize two tick borne diseases on blood smears (Ehrlichia and Babesia), be able to focus a microscope (a difficult tasks for them to master), understand vaccine protocols for cats and dogs, be able to do a brief physical exam on a pet, and understand some common medications. They also get points for punctuality, involvement, and professionalism during the rotation.


Although few of the students will go on to work in small animal medicine, many of the skills they learn from in the clinic are universal.  Drawing up vaccines, syringe handling skills, giving injections, dispensing medications, taking a history from owners; these are all skills they will use in any veterinary field.

As we enter the last 6 weeks of the semester, please continue to pray for peace on campus.  The vast majority of students really do want to study, learn, and graduate.  They have worked hard for the opportunity to attend university and deserve to do so without protests and riots.

On a personal note, the family leasing my horse has canceled the lease, leaving me with no one to care for him the next two years.  Please pray for peace for my heart as I struggle to find someone to keep him, while living half way across the world.   Please also pray that the Lord would provide the perfect home for him.  If you or anyone you know might be interested in leasing him, please let me know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment