Saturday, March 12, 2022

Jan 2022 - Gifts of Grace

 Happy New Year!  Have you made any New Year’s resolutions?  Although I haven’t made any resolutions this year, I have been reflecting on God’s grace in my life over the past few years.  CVM’s verse for the year is Acts 20:24 with the focus on the gospel of the grace of God.  And it is a wonderful gospel (good news)! 

One the greatest gifts of grace has been the discipleship of students at NWU. Walking with them though their struggles and triumphs, praying with them, and studying the word together has been a joy and a source of growth for me as well. Many that were part of our witnessing group and Bible studies over the past 6 years have graduated, gotten married, and are working in jobs of all descriptions.

A second gift of grace is my little house and garden with my chickens and cats. Such joy can be found in the simple things in life: watching plants grow, playing with my cats and listening to the chickens clucking after they lay an egg.  It is such a blessing (especially during lockdown!) not to be in an apartment.  My home on campus also means the campus generator provides electricity during load shedding (when the government shuts off the power for several hours a day to compensate for low electricity production)! 

The Lord has also provided wonderful gifts of grace in the friends I’ve made in South Africa, both nationals and expats.  Friendships that will last long after my term with CVM are finished.  Friends to worship with, travel with, and bake with, friends who provided a place to stay when I needed to evacuate during student riots, friends who have rescued me when I’ve had car trouble, and friends who have helped me navigate the ins and out of life in South Africa.

Another gift of grace is the ability to return home on furlough and visit friends and family. This also includes the chance to meet up with vet students from various universities though the Real Life Real Impact student conferences and the talks I will be doing at the University of Minnesota.   Furlough also provides an opportunity to spend time with my parents.  They traveled with me to California last month to visit a few of my supporters and family who live in the area and we managed to have a bit of fun along the way. We even got out in the snow!


Finally, and most importantly, is the gift of grace in God’s salvation.  Last month we celebrated the birth of Christ, and in a few months, we will celebrate His death and resurrection.  Through Him we have been freely given the gift of restored relationship with our Creator and eternal life with Him. Praise Him for His marvelous gifts of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment