Friday, February 9, 2018

Feb 2018 - Koketso


For the New Year, I want to share with you the stories of some of the students I work with and mentor on campus.  Koketso is starting her second year at university this month and is in the animal health course.  She was very active in our witnessing training group, Acts 1:8, last year and jointed us on our outreach to Lesotho.  She also regularly attends our Bible study and home church. During one of our movie showings last year she was also brave enough to share her testimony with all the students that attended.  I’ll let her tell her story…


“I am Koketso Mogashoa from South Africa (Pretoria), currently studying Animal Health in the North-West University Mafikeng campus. I am blessed with a family of 7, my grandparents, uncle and his wife, mom and step-father and lastly my younger sister. My grandfather is a pastor at a Baptist church which makes both him and my grandmother to be servants.

“I am raised by my mother’s aunt (grandmother’s sister). On a regular bases, we would have visitors at my grandparent’s home, visiting for counseling or just for a normal catch up and wherever they were it was almost impossible to have their attention. At that particular time my mom worked at a house selling agent so she often travelled and left me behind as work got hectic and neither did I have enough time to spend with her. My dad on the other hand is a man of his own kind he doesn’t care about me or anyone this is pretty obvious that we don’t have a good relationship.

“I felt lonely, miserable, hurting, fearful, unwanted and I would often spend time alone .Time went by feeling the very same pain, it was made worse when my mother’s aunt was laid to rest hence I had to move with my mother, younger sister and my step-father .I moved with them in a state of hate and disbelieve that I lost someone who was like a mother. My step-father started abusing me emotionally, but I woke up every morning with hope that my mother will one day stand firm and be on my side but she didn’t and she ended up chasing me out of their house leaving me homeless and to cut the long story short I now live with my grandparents .

“On one Sunday the preacher was preaching about peace, friendship, love and freedom God offers in his relationship and I felt the urgency of grabbing the opportunity and ever since my life has never been the same again. This means I agreed to the fact that Jesus Christ is the only mediator between I and God, that I fully depend on him for eternity and that there is no church or rules that can make me have eternal life. God really intervened in my life I have peace, freedom, love, I am no longer feeling lonely, I know I am his priority and I have a friend in him. Isn’t that great!”

Koketso has been a wonderful sister-in-Christ to mentor and I look forward to working with her over the next few years.  Please keep her in your prayers that she would flourish spiritually and academically this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment