Friday, February 9, 2018

July 2017 - Apprentice


Winter has arrived in Mafikeng again.  Temperatures are down in the 30’s some nights, but still over 70 during the day.  I’ve gotten out the extra blankets, heavy vests, and scarves and plan to enjoy the cool weather as much as possible.

This morning I’m making the 4.5 hour drive to Johannesburg today to pick up a vet student who is flying in early tomorrow.  She will be staying with me as a Christian Veterinary Mission apprentice.  Apprenticeships are for vet students wanting to get a better feel for long term missions. This apprentice is interested in long term missions, student ministry in particular, so she has come to spend some time here in Mafikeng and get a glimpse of life on the field.  Life is not just all work, however. 

We are both looking forward to a week-long visit to the Cape Town region this month, although I think I’ll leave her to some of the more adventurous activities. She may still be able to talk me into cage diving with the great white sharks, but the bungee jumping is definitely off the table.
The day after the apprentice leaves in Aug, I pick up another CVM visitor for a two weeks stay.  We had hoped to put together another short-term mission team, but it didn’t work out this year so one vet is coming on her own. It will be a very busy winter, but it is always a pleasure to show visitors around this beautiful county.

The students are now on winter recess and will start their second term later this month.  I have to admit, it is nice to have a break from all the activities.

Well, I’d best head off down the road so I miss the traffic in the big city.

No comments:

Post a Comment