Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Sept 2021 - New Vehicle!

Spring is rapidly passing through Mahikeng and summer is soon to arrive.  Temperatures have been in the upper 70’s and low 80’s although still falling to the 40’s at night.  In Seattle we had a saying, “Enjoy the Washington summer; all 10 minutes of it.”  I feel like the same can be said for spring and fall here in Mahikeng.  I’ve already put away my extra blanket, warm bathrobe, hot water bottle, and long sleeve shirts. 

In the clinic, we have finished the first term and have started the second term.  Hopefully we will finish by the end of the year so it doesn’t drag on into next year.  Since we were unable to do traditional written and practical exams, I assigned 9 short assignments for the final-year student’s end of term evaluations in the small animal rotation.  It all sounded good until I realized that meant grading 500 essays and 1000 calculations in two weeks!

Thankfully, there is usually a bit of comic relief in reading the student’s answers.  One of my favorites was a radiographic (x-ray) description of a fracture (broken bone).  The image showed a comminuted fracture with lots of small pieces.  The student said it was “a y-shaped break causing the bones to look like corn flacks [sic]”.  Oh grief, I was wiping tears from my eyes after reading that one.

One exciting change since my last prayer letter is a new vehicle.  My little Honda Fit (Jazz) was reaching the end of its reliability and, after talking with CVM and my missions co-workers here, I decided to upgrade to a 7-seater vehicle.  This means when we take students on trips (both mission trips and vet related outreaches) I can bring more students along.  It also gives more options for taking students home after Bible studies (it isn’t safe for them to walk home after dark).  Although finding a 7-seater was a big challenge during COVID since I couldn’t travel to the big city, the Lord brought the perfect one just 45 minutes away.  It is a 2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and it is huge! 

Having driven very small cars for the past 15 years, driving a big SUV will take some getting used to.  I’m still very nervous driving it in parking lots and I don’t look forward to driving in cities.  However, it is a much safer vehicle both due to its size and its safety features.  Since road accident fatalities are a big problem in South Africa, safety is important.  I was just looking at statistics as I write this and there were 38,000 car accident deaths in the US last year and 14,000 here in South Africa.  Since our population is only 1/5th  of the US we have double the amount of fatalities.  But add in the fact that only 5% of the people in my province even have a driver’s license (versus 2/3 in the US) and the numbers are even worse.  Probability of being in a fatal vehicle accident here is about 1 in 1,500 vehicles by my rough calculations. Yikes!

On the COVID front, South Africa has passed 10,000 deaths and, if the tests are accurate, we are 5th in the world for the number of cases (>500,000).  There have been a few cases confirmed in students and staff here on campus, but not many at this point. Local leisure travel is now allowed so I got away for a week while marking all those end of year assignments.

What a blessing it is to be able to rest peacefully in the Lord during these difficult and uncertain times.  Thank you for your prayers over the last few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment